FileExplorer became a major update to version 3 and nails my rating that it is the best FTP-NAS-private iCloud app for iPhone, iPad and iPad touch. FileExplorer 3 is completely redesigned to fit perfectly with the flat design of iOS 7. The only ‘disadvantage’ of FileExplorer I’ve mentioned in my review on the 3 best FTP apps for iPhone and iPad is now overcome. AirDrop is also integrated now. Altogether, the usability is improved, especially, file uploads are easier accessible.
FileExplorer has been the app of my choice since I had installed it for the very first time. I love the fact that file Explorer has been working perfectly all the time, the speed to open Folders and to access NAS or Computers is very high, compared to other FTP apps for iPhone and iPad. Because AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) and SMB (Server Message Block) are supported, an Airport Extreme with an attached NAS and/or a Time Capsule can be connected to FileExplorer, too! I use 2 Time Capsules for my private iCloud (‘miCloud‘) in conjunction with FileExplorer.
For a limited time: Win 1 of 8 Promo Codes for FileExplorer!
Here are the new features of File Explorer 3.0.0:
- Add “Repeat one song” feature in built-in music player.
- Control music player in lock screen.
- Automatically play next video. This feature is controlled by an option “Auto Play Next Video” in settings.
- AirDrop: send your files to nearby iDevices (iPhone 5 or above, iPad 4 and iPad mini)
- New cache cleaning mechanism: FileExplorer will reminder you to clean the cache if the cache size exceeds 1GB.
- Highlights viewing file in file lists.
- Support “open in” in search function.
FileExplorer helps you to access files on your remote computer (Mac, Windows, Linux), NAS Server and Cloud Storage (cloud services, but not with WebDAV (box.net, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive and other services with a desktop sync via remote (running PC)) from iDevice. Stream movies and musics to your iDevice. Directly view photos, play slideshow on computer without iTunes sync. Access and manage documents on your office computer from home through iOS VPN or port forward.
- Access Remote Computer/File Server/NAS
- Supported OS and device: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Time Capsule and NAS server with SMB support.
- Access network shares on above OS and device by CIFS/SMB protocol.
- Manage (copy/move/rename/delete) your remote files from iDevice.
- Stream movies and musics from remote computer/NAS to iDevice.
- Transfer files between remote computer/NAS and iDevice.
- Search files by file name.
- Support network discovery and make connection setup easily.
- Support VPN and port forward(139 and 445 port) to connect your computer/NAS over Internet.
- Cloud Storages
- Supported Cloud Storage: Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive and Box.
- Access and manage your files on Cloud Storage.
- Stream movies and musics to iDevices
- Transfer files between Cloud Storage and iDevice.
- Local Storage
- FTP Server: Transfer files between computer and iDevice over WiFi
- Sort files and folders by name, date and size etc.
- File Management: Copy/Delete/Move files.
- Built-in file readers
- Support JPG, PNG, TIFF
- Play Slideshow
- Share photos on Twitter, Facebook, Email etc.
- Video Player:
- Support majority video formats: MOV, MP4, M4V, MPV, AVI, XVID, MKV, RMVB, WMV, FLV etc.
- Support video streaming
- Video quality:
- Up to HD quality (1280 x 720 pixels) for Quick Time media files (MP4, MOV, M4V, MPV)
- Up to DV quality (720 x 576 pixels) for other media files (AVI, XVID, MKV, RMVB, WMV, FLV etc.)
- Music Player:
- Support MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV
- Background, shuffle, Repeat play
- Audio streaming
- PDF Reader:
- Fast open large pdf file.
- Support Outline, Bookmark, page thumbnails, annotation link etc.
- Document Reader:
- MS Office: Support Word, Excel, Powerpoint documents
- iWork: Support Pages, Numbers, Keynote documents
- And more formats: plain text, RTF(Rich Text Format), HTML and Web Archives
- Universal app
- Transfer photos between iDevice Photo Library and remote computers/cloud storage.
- Password lock down app
- Favorites, History, Email, Air Print etc.
FileExplorer 3.0 is still the best FTP app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch I’ve seen up to now. The main advantage is the capability to get access to Time Capsules and AirPort Extreme stations.