OpenPlex Lite automatically installs and manages PlexConnect on your Mac to get Plex Media Server streaming on your Apple TV. In contrast to OpenPlex, OpenPlex Lite is an app for the everyday user who are not in the need of a lot of extra function, as the creator “stoffez” states in the OpenPlex Lite about section. For superior requirements, OpenPlex, developed by ‘Wahlman.j’ (Source Code), ‘CyberGhost84’ (GUI) & ‘Flipman6’ (Obj-C), is the right choice.
OpenPlex Lite is an open source app that will automatically install PlexConnect by cloning PlexConnect into ‘…/Applications/PlexConnect‘ on your Mac to enable easily generate any desired certificate file (trailers, wsj, or iMovie), hijacks desired Apple TV apps (Trailers, wsj, or iMovie) without Mac terminal. Furthermore, OpenPlex Lite is running on up to Mac OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite beta 4.
How to set up OpenPlex Lite:
- Download OpenPlex Lite installer app on your Mac.
- Double click ‘OpenPlex Lite‘ installer app and give permissions.
- On the windows opened, click on ‘Install‘.
- The finder will open the folder ‘Applications‘. Start ‘OpenPlex Lite‘ app.
- The ‘PlexConnect Remote‘ window opens. Click on ‘Setup‘ and choose ‘Installation‘.
- The window ‘Installation‘ opens. Click on ‘Install PIL‘ to install pillow. In the next windows, fill in your password and click on ‘Return‘/’Enter‘-key on your keyboard.
- Select a theme for installation. I recommend to choose ‘iBaa’s theme‘ for the very first time.
- After successful installation of the theme, choose the Apple TV app for hijacking. I recommend to choose ‘Trailers‘ app for the very first time.
- After successful installation of the theme, install the certificate file on your Apple TV. Follow the instructions under ‘Setup‘ and ‘Setup Guide‘.
- After you done this, start Plex Media Server on you Mac.
- Go back to ‘OpenPlex Lite‘ app and click on ‘Start‘. If you see the green light in the right down corner, then PlexConnect is running.
- Go to your Apple TV and choose the hijacked app and enjoy Plex on your Apple TV!
The OpenPlex options are:
- Start PlexConnect – Starts PlexConnect if its stopped
- Stop PlexConnect – Stops PlexConnect if its running
- Show Log – Shows the status of plexconnect (sometimes it needs to be refreshed via the system log app when starting or stoping plexconnect)
- Exit – Exits and quits OpenPlex Lite app
- Setup – menu ‘Installation‘, ‘Setup guide‘ and ‘about‘ section
PlexConnect on Windows:
If you are also a Windows user and if you want to get PlexConnect on your Windows PC, then have a look at this post:
OpenPlex Lite is a very helpful app to automatically install PlexConnect on your Mac, to easily generate certificate files, and to start and stop PlexConnect without Mac terminal. OpenPlex Lite is working on Mac OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite and 10.10.4 Yosemite beta 4. Kudos to the OpenPlex Lite author ‘stoffez’ and the OpenPlex authors ‘Wahlman.j’ (Source Code), ‘CyberGhost84’ (GUI) & ‘Flipman6’ (Obj-C)!
Stay tuned! 😉