Here’s how to install a certificate on Apple TV without USB cable (micro USB cable) to get PlexConnect on your Apple TV. Installing a certificate on your Apple TV is essential to get PlexConnect running because of the silent Apple TV Software update from August 27, 2013. Up to now, it was necessary to connect your Apple TV to your computer (Mac and Windows PC) via a micro USB cable. Some people including me noticed that not every micro USB cable is working to get the Apple TV recognized in the iPhone configuration utility.
Here’ how to install a certificate on Apple Tv 2 or 3 without using any micro USB cable:
- The latest version of PlexConnect from Github needs to be running.
- Create certificate files for Mac or Windows (Step 2).
- Copy all three certificate files to default directory .cer (Mac)/.der (Windows), .pem and .key to …/plexconnect/assets/certificates)
- Complete Apple TV configuration steps in the PlexConnect Install Guide (steps 3 & 4 in Mac and 4 & 5 in Windows guide)
- Go to the Apple TV Settings.
- Select ‘General‘ then scroll the cursor down to highlight ‘Send Data To Apple‘.
- Set ‘Send data to apple‘ to ‘No‘.
- This time press ‘Play‘ (not the normal ‘Select‘ button) and you will be prompted to add a profile.
- Enter the URL for the .cer file: http://your-Plex-Server-IP-address/trailers.cer […/trailers.der for Windows] (don’t forget to add http:// and use your PlexConnect IP address). Click on ‘Submit‘.
Using this work around is really an easy way to install a certificate to an Apple TV without using any micro USB cable. Credits to David Schuetz and nicochi!
Stay tuned! 😉