In this post I show you how to fix Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Notes crashes and Notes syncing bugs with an exchange server. The fix should work on previous Mac OS X versions like 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion, too. Upgrading to Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks lead to several bugs concerning Gmail and exchange syncing. Further more, it could lead to Notes crashes and syncing bugs with exchange server. I on my own faced these two major bugs on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012).
First, I got Gmail and Exchange mail syncing problems. I could not move mails from the inboxes to a folder. All moved mails appeared again in the inbox after a few seconds when I went back to the inbox. I posted a fix to overcome the Gmail bug which perfectly works for me. In the meantime, Apple released an update for the mail.app to resolve the Gmail bug.
Second, the Notes app did not sync my Microsoft Exchange account, nor from my Mac to the exchange server, neither from the exchange server to my Mac. I fixed it following this work around:
Caution: If you got, in addition to IMAP and/or Exchange notes, sole-locally stored notes or POP3 notes, you have to take care on your own to save them separately! If you do not save them, they will be gone / deleted following this instruction! Following these steps is at your own risk!
- Go to ‘System Preferences…‘, ‘Internet accounts‘ and deactivate all ‘Notes‘.
- Close Notes app.
- Go to finder and click on ‘Macintosh HD/library/caches‘. Drag all the contents of the folder to the trash.
- Click on the finder, click ‘Go‘, hold the option key and click on ‘libraries‘ (will not appear if you don’t hold the option key). Go to the folder ‘Cashes‘ again and drag everything in the folder to the trash again.
- Click on the finder, click ‘Go‘, hold the option key and click on ‘Library‘ and then on the folder ‘Containers‘. Drag com.apple.notes to the trash.
- Restart your computer.
- Empty trash.
- Open notes again and wait for a while till updating of Notes app is finished.
Cleaning caches and notes app container resolves Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Notes crashes and exchange syncing issues on Mac OS X. Could you fix it, too? Let us know and post your experience!
Stay tuned! 😉