Do you want to install Windows 10 for phones (technical preview) on your Windows Phone? Learn how to download and install Windows 10 for phones (technical preview). On February 12, 2015, Microsoft announced the first build of Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones. So far, only certain Windows Phones are compatible to Windows 10 for Phones (technical preview), e.g. the Nokia Lumia 635. The Lumia 520 is yet not supported.
For a couples of days, there has been a hack by RustyGrom on xdadevelopers working to get Windows 10 for phones (Windows 10 for mobile) on non-supported Windows Phones (Lumia ones). However, Microsoft plugged the whole in the Windows Insider app with an update.
I installed Windows 10 for phones (technical preview, build number 9941.12498) on a Lumia 635. The Lumia 635 is on the list of compatible devices. Here is how to install Windows 10 for phones (technical preview):
- Check your device against the list of compatible devices. To date (02/25/2015), it’s fairly short: Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 730 and Lumia 830. If your device isn’t on the list, be patient. The team in Redmond has stated new devices will be added.
- Make sure your device is running Windows Phone 8.1. You can do this by launching Settings and going to ‘About‘ followed by ‘Info‘.
- Sign up for the Windows Insider Program, if you haven’t already.
- Download and install the Windows Insider app from the Windows Phone Store.
- Once the app is installed, it will scan the specifics of your device and guide you through the upgrade process. Select ‘Insider Fast’ to get Windows 10 for phones (technical preview) immediately.
- Connected your device to a charger during the update. done!
My impressions on Windows 10 for phones (technical preview, build number 9941.12498):
- No that obvious change in design compare to Windows Phone 8.1, the changes seemed to be more under the hood.
- The ‘Settings‘ menu got a change in design and a new arrangement.
Windows 10 for Phones (technical preview, build number 9941.12498) is not that big awaited deal in my eyes. It is very similar to Windows Phone 8.1. So far, there is no need to be sad about Microsoft’s block of RustyGrom’s hack. Just wait and see the upcoming next Lumia models on the list to install windows 10 for phones on your Windows Phone… 😉
Stay tuned! 😉