Learn how to sync iCloud calendars with any android phone and android tablet using a CalDAV client. Most android devices do not have a built-in CalDAV client. Hence, there is the need to install a CalDAV client on android devices to sync iCloud contacts from iPhone, iPad or Mac. In the same manner, iCloud contacts are synced with android devices via CardDAV protocol. In contrast to android, Windows Phone 8.1 has built-in CalDAV and CardDAV clients for syncing iCloud calendars and contacts with Windows Phone 8.1.
- SmoothSync for Cloud Calendars (Note: Problems with Samsung Galaxy S5 reported in description)
- CalDAV-Sync (Note: Problems with Samsung Galaxy S5 reported in description)
- DAVdroid – CalDAV/CardDAV Sync (Note: Problems with all Android 4.1 and all Samsung users, some android 4.4.2 devices and Samsung Galaxy S5 reported in description)
- Sync for iCloud Calendar (free)
My decision was to use the free Sync for iCloud Calendar to sync iCloud calendars because of its also free CardDAV-companion Sync for iCloud Contacts and not to take the often recommended app SmoothSync for Cloud Calendars because of its Samsung Galaxy S5 limitations. However, you must be aware that you need to fill in your iCloud email and password and the developer does not state anything about privacy.
Here’s how to sync iCloud calendars with Android Phones and Android tablets (this tutorial was performed on a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (SM-G800F) running on android 4.4.2 KitKat. Setting up CalDAV client to sync iCloud calendars is very similar for the other apps.
- Install Sync for iCloud Calendar from Google Play and tap on ‘Install‘.
- Then ‘Accept‘ the app’s need to access your contacts and calendar.
- After successfully installation, open Sync for iCloud Calendar and tap on ‘Add Calendar Account‘.
- Select ‘Sync for iCloud Calendar‘ as account.
- Fill in your iCloud user name (Apple ID / iCloud email) and your iCloud password. Note: 2-Step-authentication is NOT supported by Sync for iCloud Calendar.
- Select the iCloud calendars via taping on the link.
- iCloud Family calendar is also supported and can be selected.
- Fill in the contacts account name, e.g.’iCloud Calendars‘. 😉
- Sync frequency: Changes made on the android Phone are synced immediately to iCloud and vice versa within some minutes.
- If you want to set up manually CalDAV : The iCloud CalDAV calendar server is p06-caldav.icloud.com. If ‘p06-‘ doesn’t work go to icloud.com calendar web app click on the sharing symbol, make the selected calendar public (just for a moment, undo after that) and you will see a link like ‘webcal://p0X-calendarws.icloud.com/ca/subscribe/…‘. Note the underlined ‘p0X’ and you have your iCloud CalDAV calendar server: p0X-caldav.icloud.com.
- If you need more tweaks to get iCloud functions synced on an Android Phone, have a look at these “iCloud-to-Android”-tutorials:
Syncing iCloud calendars with android devices works seamlessly by using a CalDAV client. Sync for iCloud Calendar is a free CalDAV client app that does what it should without any problems. What CalDAV client are you using? And what kind of android device do you have? Let us know and comment!
Stay Tuned! 😉