Sync iCloud contacts to android via a CardDAV client. Hold your Apple contacts up to date with a two-way synchronisation (not just a transfer!) of iCloud Contacts to android phone or android tablet, e.g. a Samsung Galaxy S10, S20 or S21. I sync my iCloud Contacts to android via the free Google Play Store app “Sync for iCloud Contacts” which works with an app-specific password for your iCloud account. “Sync or iCloud contacts” runs perfectly on Android 10 and Android 11.
Most android devices do not have a built-in CardDAV client. Hence, there is the need to install a CardDAV client on android devices to sync iCloud contacts from iPhone, iPad or Mac. In the same manner, iCloud calendars are synced with android devices via CalDAV protocol. You do not need to transfer iCloud Contacts to a Google Account or copy your iCloud contacts to android phones!
- Sync for iCloud Contacts (free)
- iCloud Contacts Sync (free, offers in-app purchases)
- SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts (Note: Problems with Samsung Galaxy S5 reported in description)
- CardDAV-Sync beta or the free version CardDAV-Sync free beta (Note: organizations, instant messengers, categories, notes and websites are NOT synced by the free version)
My decision was to use the free Sync for iCloud Contacts to sync iCloud contacts because of its also free CalDAV-companion Sync for iCloud Calendar and not to take the often recommended app SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts because of its Samsung Galaxy S5 limitations. Sync for iCloud Contacts offers:
- 2 way synchronisation
- Supporting multiple accounts
- Syncing directly to your iCloud account
- Using the default contacts app
- Setting sync interval for each account
- 2 step authentication including a guide
- Syncing in the background.
- Syncing contact images.
- Connecting directly to iCloud servers. No third party servers used.
How to set up Sync for iCloud Contacts to Android Phones and tablets
1. Install Sync for iCloud Contacts from Google Play and tap on ‘Install‘.
2. Then ‘Accept‘ the app’s need to access your contacts and calendar.
3. After successfully installation, open Sync for iCloud Contacts and tap on ‘Add Contacts Account‘.
4. Select ‘Sync for iCloud contacts‘ as account.
5. Fill in your iCloud user name (Apple ID / iCloud email) and your iCloud app-specific password.
6. Select the iCloud address book via taping on the link.
7. Fill in the contacts account name, e.g.’iCloud Contacts‘.
8. Synced contacts are marked with the icon of Sync for iCloud Contacts. Done!
- This tutorial was performed on a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (SM-G800F) running on android 4.4.2 KitKat. The successful set up was reviewed in January 2021 using a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus running an android 10 and android 11. Setting up the CardDAV client to sync iCloud contacts is very similar for the other apps.
- Sync frequency: Changes made on the android Phone are synced immediately with iCloud.
- For syncing changes made on iCloud / Mac / iPhone / iPad do a manual sync. Go to ‘Contacts‘ app > ‘Settings‘ > ‘Contacts‘ > ‘Accounts‘ > ‘Sync for iCloud Contacts‘ > ‘Sync now‘
- If you want to set up manually CardDAV : The iCloud CardDAV contacts server is contacts.icloud.com.
- If you need more tweaks to get iCloud functions synced on an Android Phone, have a look at these “iCloud-to-Android”-tutorials:
Sync iCloud contacts to android devices works seamlessly by using a CardDAV client. Sync for iCloud Contacts is a free CardDAV client app that does what it should do without any problems. What CardDAV client are you using? And what kind of android device do you have? Let us know and comment!
Stay Tuned! 😉