Learn how to sync iCloud contacts with any android phone and android tablet using a CardDAV client. Most android devices do not have a built-in CardDAV client. Hence, there is the need to install a CardDAV client on android devices to sync iCloud contacts from iPhone, iPad or Mac. In the same manner, iCloud calendars are synced with android devices via CalDAV protocol. In contrast to android, Windows Phone 8.1 has a built-in CardDAV client for syncing iCloud contacts with Windows Phone 8.1.
- SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts (Note: Problems with Samsung Galaxy S5 reported in description)
- CardDAV-Sync beta or the free version CardDAV-Sync free beta (Note: organizations, instant messengers, categories, notes and websites are NOT synced by the free version)
- iCloud Contacts Sync (free)
- Sync for iCloud Contacts (free)
My decision was to use the free Sync for iCloud Contacts to sync iCloud contacts because of its also free CalDAV-companion Sync for iCloud Calendar and not to take the often recommended app SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts because of its Samsung Galaxy S5 limitations. However, you must be aware that you need to fill in your iCloud email and password and the developer does not state anything about privacy.
Here’s how to sync iCloud contacts on Android Phones and Android tablets (this tutorial was performed on a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (SM-G800F) running on android 4.4.2 KitKat. Setting up CardDAV client to sync iCloud contacts is very similar for the other apps.
- Install Sync for iCloud Contacts from Google Play and tap on ‘Install‘.
- Then ‘Accept‘ the app’s need to access your contacts and calendar.
- After successfully installation, open Sync for iCloud Contacts and tap on ‘Add Contacts Account‘.
- Select ‘Sync for iCloud contacts‘ as account.
- Fill in your iCloud user name (Apple ID / iCloud email) and your iCloud password. Note: 2-Step-authentication is NOT supported by Sync for iCloud Contacts.
- Select the iCloud address book via taping on the link.
- Fill in the contacts account name, e.g.’iCloud Contacts‘. 😉
- Synced contacts are marked with the icon of Sync for iCloud Contacts. Done!
- Sync frequency: Changes made on the android Phone are synced immediately with iCloud.
- For syncing changes made on iCloud / Mac / iPhone / iPad do a manual sync. Go to ‘Contacts‘ app > ‘Settings‘ > ‘Contacts‘ > ‘Accounts‘ > ‘Sync for iCloud Contacts‘ > ‘Sync now‘
- If you want to set up manually CardDAV : The iCloud CardDAV contacts server is contacts.icloud.com.
- If you need more tweaks to get iCloud functions synced on an Android Phone, have a look at these “iCloud-to-Android”-tutorials:
Syncing iCloud contacts with android devices works seamlessly by using a CardDAV client. Sync for iCloud Contacts is a free CardDAV client app that does what it should without any problems. What CardDAV client are you using? And what kind of android device do you have? Let us know and comment!
Stay Tuned! 😉