Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are running on Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan. On January 19, 2016, Apple released Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan (build number 15D21, ‘final release’). I positively tested it with an Apple TV 3 running on Apple TV 7.2 software. Find more about Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan on Apple’s Website. I had not to re-install OpenPlex.
The OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
Due to improved OS security, you must disable the System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’, also called “rootless” before installing or updating OpenPlex (the latest 0.6 version dated January 14, 2015 should do this automatically) or OpenPlex Lite. Here’s the System Integrity Protection fix (but be aware that you’re loosing security! Re-activate it after Installation!):
The following set up was used for testing:
- Upgraded OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan with disabled System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’.
- Plex (Version 0.9.15.2.1663-7efd046 / January 22, 2016)
- PlexConnect (v0.5-dev, December 14, 2014)
- OpenPlex (beta 0.6, January 14, 2016)
- Apple TV 3 / 3rd generation (Model number A1427 – AppleTV3,1 – MD199LL/A)
- MacBook Pro 13” Late 2013
Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are working on Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan:
- The latest Apple TV 7.2 software is only available for Apple TV 3 3rd generation (Model number A1427 – AppleTV3,1 – MD199LL/A) and Apple TV 3 3rd generation rev a (Model number A1469 – AppleTV3,2 – MD199LL/A).
- The newest tvOS beta is NOT working on Apple TV generations 1 to 3, solely on Apple TV 4th generation! See some tips and tricks for Apple TV 4.
- Apple changed the URL for the WSL app from secure.marketwatch.com to video-api-secure.wsj.com.
- The official Plex App for Apple TV 4th generation is already available.
- But you can also sideload PlexConnectApp (by iBaa)!
Plex Media Server was updated on January 22, 2016.
Plex Version 0.9.15.2.1663-7efd046 changelog:
- (iOS) Sync soft subtitles to iOS clients.
- Advanced preference to set the x264 preset used with background transcodes.
- (Windows) Plex Media Server now requires the latest service pack or update, when installed on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
- (Windows) Address installation errors on systems missing a required service pack or operating system update.
- (Media Optimizer) Processing wouldn’t always restart to handle newly-added library content.
- (Sync) Sync item configuration changes weren’t being picked up immediately.
- (Sync) Watched items weren’t being immediately removed from unwatched-only sync items.
- (Sync) Unwatched-only sync items might not include specific unwatched items in some rare cases.
- (Sync) Run Cloud Sync every 24 hours, in order to sync view counts to the cloud.
- Popular tracks list for artists wasn’t respecting sharing restrictions.
- Netgear RN21x package no longer overwrites Preferences.xml on startup.
- Incorrect auto-update download links in some rare cases.
- Playback could fail to start on LG TVs in some rare cases.
- Subtitles in ‘mov_text’ format might not transcode correctly.
- Crash during episode post-play
PlexConnect v0.5 changelog (major improvements):
- Revamped Audio/Music handling (for iOS>=7.0. That version got a new XML audio player… thanks Beats!)
- GUI improvements: Fanart, Backgrounds… (needs PIL/Pillow library for Python)
- Playlists support (video/audio): continuous play, shuffle, also for TVShow/Season/Episodes
- Save ATVSettings.cfg after changes
Further more, OpenPlex beta 0.6 was released with a new GUI on January 14, 2016, and is available for download as an installer app:
Openplex beta 0.6 Changelog:
- New GUI by CyberGhost84.
- Add Settings.cfg easy editing
- Multiple bug fixes
- Add python firewall codesign button
- Add trash can warning removal
- Add CLT check in OpenPlex.app
- Add CLT dialog in installer.app to display when not installed
- Fix loaders (requires script editor 2.7 when editing/saving and importing back into Xcode)
- Fixed OpenPlex.app to be SIP compliant by moving all scripts from /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin and exporting paths
- Replaced HOME with ~ in appweb.bash to simplify code & improve installer
- Added opening app automatically after updating app for 10.9.x-10.11.x
- Added note to icon tab that only CyberGhost84 & Wahlman.j theme’s currently can upload icon
- Redesigned GUI by CyberGhost84
- Removed fanartcache backup/restoration & viewing. Kept delete fanartcache since section icons can’t be removed due to mediabadges location in /assets/thumbnails/mediabadges.
- Bug fix on all theme’s for changed custom section icons locations
- Add new view for WebConnect “safari iOS view”
- Add & enable preview for Wahlman.j theme
- Add Website button to settings tab
- bug fix webconnect to prevent permission errors in sudoers from using root instead of default user
If you are new to PlexConnect then follow the work around to get PlexConnect running on your Apple TV:
- For Mac OS X: PlexConnect On Windows 8 And OS X 10.8.4: Plex Media Server On Apple TV 2 And 3 Without Jailbreak
- For Windows 7, 8 and 8.1: Installing PlexConnect On Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 After Apple TV Update
- For Windows 10: How To Install PlexConnect On Windows 10
The latest Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are still running on Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan with hijacking Trailers, iMovie and WSJ app! But keep in mind to deactivate System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’ before installing OpenPlex.
Stay tuned! 😉