Learn how to set up iCloud email on Outlook 2016 for Mac (preview). Outlook 2016 for Mac preview was publicly released beside the other Office 2016 apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote) on March 5, 2015. And like Outlook 2013, setting up iCloud email on Outlook 2016 for Mac is again a bit tricky because the automatically configuration is not working.
Like Outlook 2011 for Mac, Outlook 2016 for Mac (preview) does not support Apple iCloud calendar (CalDAV) and contact (CardDAV) synchronization. This means you cannot sync iCloud calendars and iCloud contacts with Outlook 2016 for Mac (preview).
Here’s how to set up iCloud email on Outlook 2016 for Mac (preview):
- Download and install Office 2016 for Mac 2016 (preview), if you haven’t already installed it. Open Outlook 2016 for Mac preview. In the Outlook menu bar, go to ‘Tools‘ and click on ‘Accounts…‘.
- In the next screen ‘Add an account‘, select ‘Other email‘.
- Enter your iCloud account information (iCloud email and password). You will noticed that the automatic configuration will not work and another screen will pop up.
- On the pop-up screen fill in (override default port if necessary):
- Incoming server (IMAP): ‘p08-imap.mail.me.com’ and port 993, SSL activated
- Outgoing server (SMTP): ‘p08-smtp.mail.me.com’ and port 587, SSL activated
- Click on ‘Add account‘.
- On the next screen, you will see your iCloud account starting to sync (yellow signal).
- In the meanwhile, you can check the advanced settings ‘Server‘, ‘Folders‘ and ‘Security‘:
- When the syncing process is finished, you will see a green signal beside your iCloud account.
Note: If you still face problems check if the IMAP server is ‘p08-imap.mail.me.com’ and ‘p08-smtp.mail.me.com’ is the correct one for your iCloud email account. Alternatively, try p01, p02, p03,…
Again and again it is annoying: Why does not Microsoft make it easy to set up iCloud email on Outlook? Further more, syncing iCloud calendars and iCloud contacts is not possible because Outlook 2016 for Mac (preview) does not support CalDAV and CardDAV synchronization. For me, Outlook for Mac does not make any sense.
Stay tuned! 😉