On Windows 10, you can set up iCloud Email in Outlook 2016 (Preview) by using iCloud for Windows (formerly known as ‘iCloud control panel’). Beside iCloud Email, you can also set up iCloud Calendars, iCloud contacts and iCloud tasks in Outlook 2016 (Preview) on Windows 10 (Insider Preview, build number 10074 tested).
Update December 7, 2015: iCloud for Windows 5.1 supports Outlook 2016. Update iCloud for Windows now to access your iCloud Mail, iCloud Contacts, iCloud Calendars, iCloud reminders and tasks in Outlook 2016. iCloud notes are not supported. For downloading iCloud for Windows 5.1 and for details, see Apple’s support document. If you still face problems check the following post:
Update September 26, 2015: How To Fix iCloud For Windows 10 Repair And Installation Failures
Update August 3, 2015: Windows 10 is not (anymore!) supported by iCloud Control Panel. For details, see Apple’s support document.
However, some people face problems with setting up iCloud email (@me.com account) in the Windows 10 mail app and/or in Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. I’ve also reported how it works for the Windows mail app on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and for Outlook 2013 on Windows 10. But how does it work for Outlook 2016 on Windows 10? Officially, iCloud for Windows supports only Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. and iCloud email, calendars, contacts and task require Outlook 2007 or later to be shown in iCloud for Windows. Despite this, you can set up iCloud email in Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 as well if the outgoing server (SMTP) is set on TLS!
The set up steps are the following:
- Download and install iCloud control panel on your Windows PC. Open iCloud control panel and sign in with your Apple ID and password. Next, check the box ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks with Outlook’ and click on ‘Start’. The Syncing will take a while. After the syncing has finished click on ‘OK’.
- Open Outlook and check if it already works correctly with iCloud email. If not, go to your iCloud account settings in Outlook 2013 (or add it newly, if the setup didn’t work). On the Outlook toolbar, click the ‘File‘ tab.
- On ‘Info‘ click on ‘Account Information‘ and select ‘Account settings‘.
- On the ‘Email‘ tab, select ‘Change‘. A new menu pops up. On ‘POP and IMAP account settings‘ choose ‘More settings…‘.
- On ‘Internet E-Mail settings‘ hit ‘Advanced‘. Switch Outgoing server (SMTP) to ‘TLS‘, if not already selected. The following settings should now be filled in:
- Incoming server (IMAP), 993, SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP), 587, TLS
- If you still face problems check if the IMAP server is ‘p08-imap.mail.me.com’ and ‘p08-smtp.mail.me.com’. Alternatively, try p01, p02, p03,….
- The username is the first part of your iCloud email address: ‘MyName’, if your iCloud email is MyName@icloud.com.
It is very important to switch on SSL for IMAP and TLS for SMTP! After clicking on ‘OK’ iCloud email, calendars, contacts and tasks in Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 should work now.
Stay tuned! 😉