AirWeb is the first app to mirror a web browser in full screen viewing on your TV via Apple TV AirPlay. iPhone, iPad and iPod touch have built-in AirPlay feature to mirror a web browser via Apple TV to your TV as well. However, this feature displays the web browser in the particular iDevice format only, not in full-screen size of the TV like AirWeb does.
AirWeb 1.1.0 requires iOS 7.0 or later, is optimized for iPhone 5/5s and is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. AirWeb works with Apple TV 2 or 3 and in combination the following Airplay supporting devices: iPad Mini 1G and up, iPad 2 and up, iPad Air, iPhone 4S and up, iPod Touch 5 G and iPhone 4 (requires a VGA/HDMI cable to connect to the TV).
AirWeb Full-screen mirroring of web pages on Apple TV:
In contrast to AirWeb, the built-in airPlay mirroring does not display web browser in full-screen view:
1. Setting up AirWeb
The first time you open AirWeb on your iDevices the set up instructions are displayed. Note: you can enter them later by clicking on the TV symbol at the top-right corner if AirPlay mirroring is disabled:
- Make sure that your iDevice and Apple TV are on the same WiFi network.
- Go to ‘Settings‘, ‘AirPlay‘ on the Apple TV to turn on AirPlay. Then go to ‘Settings‘, ‘Audio & Video‘ and turn off ‘Adjust for AirPlay Overscan‘.
- Drag your finger twice from the bottom of the screen to bring up Control Center.
- Tap on ‘AirPlay‘, select your Apple TV in the list and make sure ‘Mirroring‘ is on.
- Tap the home-button and Control Center will go away and will return you to AirWeb app.
2. Using AirWeb app
- AirWeb works like a standard browser: Start using it by entering a website URL and tap on the iDevice icon on the top-right of the app’s homepage. The website is opened in full-screen size on your TV.
- AirWeb browser has a bookmark and history function.
- The gestures instruction are displayed by clicking on the down-left ‘?‘.
- AirWeb has several sharing options, including AirDrop.
- You can enter to the single screen mode (web browser is displayed on your iDevice, not on your TV) by clicking on the top-right iDevice icon.
Taking everything into account, AirWeb is excellent app to mirror a web browser in full screen viewing on your TV via Apple TV AirPlay. Videos are displayed in full-screen size, too. If you do not need a full-screen displaying, you can save your money by using the built-in AirPlay mirroring of your iDevice and your Apple TV.