Update: Fixing iTunes 11.1.4 Windows Installations: Apple Support Document released
Update: Fixing iTunes 11.1.4 Installation Crashes On Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8 And 8.1
Update: iTunes 11.1 And iTunes Radio Running On Windows 8 And Windows 8.1
Getting iTunes 11 running on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 seems to be simple for some people (like me), but others report about iTunes 11 crashes on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 after starting even if they got iTunes installed on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1: After opening iTunes it crashes after a few seconds, iTunes freezes or crashes when starting iTunes Store. I collected 4 workarounds to get iTunes crashing or freezing fixed.
Note: If you could not install iTunes, try to install iTunes correctly, first.
The most successful fix is to copy the file ‘QTMovieWin.dll‘ from
- c:\program files (x86)\common files\apple\apple application support\ to
- c:\program files (x86)\iTunes.
Now iTunes should work correctly without any crashes. If iTunes is still not working, try to ‘cut & paste’ the file instead of copying it (Kudos to miApple.me’s commentator ‘Rex’).
In many cases it seems that there is a problem with the Intel HD graphics 4000 driver. Download and install either the latest Intel HD graphics 4000 driver for your computer from the Intel support homepage, or, in most cases even better, from the computer manufacturer’s support page. If iTunes crashes still persist, you should try the other way round and downgrade the graphics driver to an older version of the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver. If you are not very experienced in up- and downgrading drivers, try Fix 4 first!
l9ChevyDriven85 reported that there is a solution without downgrading the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver (maybe it will work for other drivers, too):
- Click on the Windows Button, go to the ‘Control Panel‘ and open ‘System‘.
- Click on ‘Advanced system settings‘ and the ‘System Properties‘ window opens.
- Click on the ‘Advanced‘ tab and hit the ‘Environment Variables’ button.
- Find and highlight the ‘Path‘ variable in the ‘Systems Variables‘ section and click on ‘Edit‘. The ‘Edit System Variable‘ window opens.
- Finally, place your mouse cursor at the very end of the ‘Variable Value‘ and paste exactly the following value to the end: ‘;C:\program files (x86)\common files\apple\apple application support\. The semicolon ‘;‘ is essential!
If you, at least, followed one of the above mentioned fixes, iTunes 11 crashing and freezing should be resolved. If you succeeded, let us know and comment! If not, describe me your problem in the comment section and I will try my very best to help you to fix it!
Stay tuned! 😉