Update: PlexConnect Running On Apple TV 6.0 Update
Update for windows 7,8 and 8.1: Installing PlexConnect On Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 After Apple TV Update
On August, 27, 2013, Apple released a ‘silent’ update on Apple TV. Apps for Vevo, Weather Channel, Disney, and Smithsonian Channel were added. Together with these new apps, the update broke the option to run Plex Media Server via PlexConnect on Apple TV 2 and 3 (Apple TV 1 was never supported by PlexConnect). However, Paul Kehrer published immediately a tweak to get PlexConnect working again on Apple TV 2 and 3. I followed Paul’s tweak and I got PlexConnect working again both on an Apple TV 3 running on Apple TV software 5.3 and an Apple TV 3 running on Apple TV Software 6.0 Beta (5.4 seed 3, iOS 7) after the latest Apple TV update.
I tested both the Mac OS X and the Windows version on my Acer Aspire 1810T running on Windows 8 Pro and my MacBook Pro running on OS X 10.8.4 with my Apple TV 3. Here’s how I proceeded (Mac version, Windows user see this post):
- I downloaded the latest PlexConnect version from Github as a ZIP-File.
- I extracted the ZIP-file and copied all files in my PlexConnect folder …/PlexConnect-XML_templates (I removed all older files before).
- I downloaded and installed iPhone Configuration Utility 3.5 for Mac OS X on my MacBook Pro (iPhone Configuration Utility 3.6.2 for Windows on my Acer Aspire 1810T running on Windows 8.1 Preview)
- I created the Certfiles as Paul describes: Open a terminal window (Terminal.app on Mac) and run the following command which will create two files on your desktop (trailers.key and trailers.pem): openssl req -new -nodes -newkey rsa:2048 -out ~/Desktop/trailers.pem -keyout ~/Desktop/trailers.key -x509 -days 7300 -subj “/C=US/CN=trailers.apple.com”. Update: A more convenient way using a batch file: Follow the instructions for Windows (Step 2) in the newer post.
- Next run this which creates the file trailers.cer: openssl x509 -in ~/Desktop/trailers.pem -outform der -out ~/Desktop/trailers.cer && cat ~/Desktop/trailers.key >> ~/Desktop/trailers.pem
- I created and installed the profile on the iPhone Configuration Utility as Paul describes, using a micro-USB cable. Take care that you first plug in the Apple TV and then connect the Apple TV via the micro-USB cable to your computer, otherwise it will enter recovery mode!
- I configured PlexConnect by moving the trailers.pem and the trailers.key file to the new folder …/PlexConnect-XML_templates/assets/certificates I created before, that PlexConnect can find them.
- I ran PlexConnect (‘sudo ./PlexConnect.py’ on Mac Terminal) and started the Apple TV.
- Clicking on ‘Trailers’ shows now Plex again!
Following these steps I got PlexConnect working again both on an Apple TV 3 running on Apple TV software 5.3 and an Apple TV 3 running on Apple TV Software 6.0 Beta (5.4 seed 3, iOS 7) after the latest Apple TV update. Did you managed it or do you face problems?
Stay tuned! 😉