Update: Fixing Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Gmail Bug In Mail App
Apple released Mavericks Mac OS X 10.9.2 update (security release note) on February 25, 2014. Beside other several improvements and additional features like making and receiving FaceTime audio calls, it mainly should enhance the performance of the native OS X mail app.
Especially, the Gmail bug should had been resolved. However, some users still report about Gmail issues and other mail performance problems. The Gmail bug is seemingly the most common one.
The mail app improvements of OS X 10.9.2 should be:
- Includes general improvements to the stability and compatibility of Mail
- Improves the accuracy of unread counts in Mail
- Resolves an issue that prevented Mail from receiving new messages from certain providers
- Improves compatibility with Gmail Archive mailboxes
- Includes improvements to Gmail labels
There is an ‘old’ trick for Max OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, which was not working to fix the Gmail bug in the very first release of Mavericks anymore, but works again since the release of Mavericks Mac OS X 10.9.1: De-activating ‘Show in IMAP’ for ‘All Mail’ label. You can fix the bug for Google’s Gmail IMAP accounts following this work around.
How to fix Mavericks Mac OS X 10.9.2 Gmail bug:
The trick is to deactivate ‘Show in IMAP‘ for ‘All Mail‘, delete every single Gmail account in the native mail app in Mavericks, reactivate it and set up your Gmail accounts again without activating ‘Show in IMAP‘ for ‘All Mail‘ again (in contrast to my recommendation in ‘Fixing Gmail Bug On Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Mail App‘ with the reactivating step):
- Open the native mail app client in Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
- Log in your Gmail account in the web browser.
- Go to the settings wheel (right corner below your account image) and click on ‘Settings‘.
- Click on ‘Labels’, deactivate ‘Show in IMAP‘ for ‘All Mail‘ and go to your inbox (change in settings will be saved).
- Close the native mail app client in Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
- Go to ‘Preferences‘ in Mavericks, choose ‘Internet accounts‘ and delete all Gmail accounts. Important: Be sure that you had got an IMAP account set up. In the other case all your POP3 mail will be deleted.
- Open the native mail app client in Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Note: No Gmail accounts should be shown!
- Restart your Mac.
- Go to ‘Preferences‘ in Mavericks, choose ‘Internet accounts‘ and add all Gmail accounts you deleted before. Last, but not least: You have just to wait some minutes, hours or days depending on the size of your Gmail mailboxes until the Gmail accounts work correctly again. In my cases it takes several hours for my main mail account and some ten minutes for my smaller accounts.
The ‘old’ Mountain Lion trick to de-activate ‘Show in IMAP’ for ‘All Mail’ fixes the Mavericks Mac OS X 10.9.2 Gmail bug in native mail app on your Mac. If this fix is working for you, let us know and comment. If not, comment anyway to get further assistance!
Stay tuned! 😉