Outlook for Mac (2016) now supports of Google Calendars and Contacts. In contrast, still neither iCloud calendars and iCloud contacts, nor CalDAV and CardDAV are supported on Outlook for Mac. Starting with the preview of Outlook 2016 for Mac, version 15.34 (build number 1704419), Outlook for Mac adds improved support for Google Accounts. Furthermore, the setup of a Google Account, both Gmail or G Suite for business, is improved. In addition, Outlook for Mac 2016, 15.34 (build number 1704419) is now working seamlessly with Google’s 2-step-verification. The predecessor version 15.33 was not compatible to Google’s 2-step-verification.
Outlook for Mac syncs your Google account to the Microsoft Cloud. This allows you to use many of the best features of Mail and Calendar and Outlook 2016 for Mac, which were previously only available to those with Outlook.com, Office 365, or Exchange Server email accounts.
Note: At this time (April 2017), Outlook 2016 for Mac support of Google Calendar and Contacts is only available to select Insider Fast participants who have an Office 365 subscription. It will be available to all users worldwide later this year.
How to sync Google Calendars and Google Contacts with Outlook for Mac
- Download the latest preview of Outlook for Mac 2016 (April 2017: version 15.34, build number 17004419). No purchase required until June 30, 2017.
- Install Outlook following the instructions.
- Then open Outlook for Mac. In the pop-up windows, enter your Google Email address. Outlook for Mac will automatically identify your email address as a Gmail address or a G Suite email address.
- Sign-in with your Google email and password. If you have activated the 2-step-verification, Outlook for Mac is working with that without any hassle.
- Give Outlook for Mac the desired permissions. Done! your Google Email, Google Calendar and Google contacts are now added and synced with Outlook for Mac.
Note: For some better syncing experience between Google calendars and Google contacts I recommend reading this post: Google Calendar Sync Alternatives For Outlook
Syncing Google Calendars and Google Contacts is added on Outlook for Mac 2016. However, CalDAV and CardDAV support is still not available. Also syncing iCloud calendars and iCloud contacts is missing. Who can understand why Microsoft isn’t willing to add this features to Outlook for mac? Me not…
Stay tuned! 😉