Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are running on Apple TV 7.2.2 software and macOS 10.12.2 Sierra (final release). On December 12, 2016, Apple released Apple TV 7.2.2 software (build number 8015). The predecessor, Apple TV 7.2.1, was released almost a year ago, on Februar 25, 2016. I positively tested it on an Apple TV 3rd generation. Apple TV 7.2.2 improves general performance and stability compared to Apple TV 7.2.1.
Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are working on macOS 10.12.2 Sierra and Apple TV 7.2.2 software:
The following set up was used for testing (dated January, 03, 2017):
- macOS 10.12.2 Sierra (build number 16C67).
- Plex (Version 220.127.116.1148-b38628e / December, 15, 2016)
- PlexConnect (v0.5-dev, December 14, 2014)
- OpenPlex (beta 0.6, May 16, 2016)
- Apple TV 3 / 3rd generation (Model number A1427 – AppleTV3,1 – MD199LL/A)
- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) Gold, processor 1,3 GHz Intel Core m7, 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
- The latest Apple TV 7.2.1 software is only available for Apple TV 3 3rd generation (Model number A1427 – AppleTV3,1 – MD199LL/A) and Apple TV 3 3rd generation rev a (Model number A1469 – AppleTV3,2 – MD199LL/A).
- tvOS is NOT working on Apple TV generations 1 to 3, solely on Apple TV 4th generation! See some tips and tricks for Apple TV 4.
- Apple changed the URL for the WSL app from secure.marketwatch.com to video-api-secure.wsj.com.
- The official Plex App for Apple TV 4th generation is already available.
- But you can also sideload PlexConnectApp (by iBaa)!
- Currently the OpenPlex Installer is not properly working. For a work around look here.
- If ‘No Plex Libraries available’, have a look at this post: In “List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth” section of the Plex network settings, you have to use netmask as well. For example, if your ATV’s IP address is 192.168.0.100, you have to use 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0 to make it work.
Re-installation of the ‘trailer.cer’ profile:
If you want to install Apple TV 7.2.2 software for the very first time, there could be the need to restore your Apple TV, meaning all added profile were deleted. Hence, re-install the certificate file to get PlexConnect running again. I used the same certificate file I generated for Apple TV 6 software and installed the profile following ‘PlexConnect: Installling Certificates On Apple TV Without USB‘. Finally, I configured the DNS of the Apple TV 3 to the IP address of my Plex Media Server according to the GitHub DNS configuration guide and PlexConnect works as good as before the update.
How to install PlexConnect on Apple TV:
If you are new to PlexConnect then follow the work around to get PlexConnect running on your Apple TV:
- For Mac OS X and macOS: PlexConnect On Windows 8 And OS X 10.8.4: Plex Media Server On Apple TV 2 And 3 Without Jailbreak
- For Windows 7, 8 and 8.1: Installing PlexConnect On Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 After Apple TV Update
- For Windows 10: How To Install PlexConnect On Windows 10
Finally, I am very delighted that the latest Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are still running on Apple TV 7.2.2 software and macOS 10.12.2 Sierra.
Stay tuned! 😉