Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are running on Apple TV 7.2.1 software and Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan (final release). On February 25, 2015, Apple released Apple TV 7.2.1 software (build number 8011) and Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan (build number 15D21, “final release”). The predecessor, Apple TV 7.2, was released almost a year ago, on April 8, 2015. I positively tested it on an Apple TV 3rd generation. Apple TV 7.2.1 seems to be just a security update from Apple TV 7.2.
The following set up was used for testing:
- Upgraded OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan with enabled System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’.
- Plex (Version 0.9.15.6.1714-7be11e1 / February 23, 2016)
- PlexConnect (v0.5-dev, December 14, 2014)
- OpenPlex (beta 0.6, February 19, 2016)
- Apple TV 3 / 3rd generation (Model number A1427 – AppleTV3,1 – MD199LL/A)
- MacBook Pro 13” Late 2013
Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are working on Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan and Apple TV 7.2.1 software:
The latest Apple TV 7.2.1 software is only available for Apple TV 3 3rd generation (Model number A1427 – AppleTV3,1 – MD199LL/A) and Apple TV 3 3rd generation rev a (Model number A1469 – AppleTV3,2 – MD199LL/A). Find out which Apple TV you have. After updating, the Apple TV software version shown is 7.2.1 (8011), the build number was 7512 on Apple TV 7.2. Hijacking Trailers app, iMovie Theatre and WSJ app works on Apple TV 7.2 software.
There are no obvious changes compared to Apple TV 7.1 and Apple TV 7.2. I tested it right now and I can confirm it for my Acer Aspire 1810T running on Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 10 and my MacBook Pro 13” retina (End 2013) running on Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan.
Hijacking Trailers app, iMovie Theatre and WSJ app works on Apple TV 7.2 software.
Re-installation of the ‘trailer.cer’ profile:
If you want to install Apple TV 7.2.1 software for the very first time, there could be the need to restore your Apple TV, meaning all added profile were deleted. Hence, re-install the certificate file to get PlexConnect running again. I used the same certificate file I generated for Apple TV 6 software and installed the profile following ‘PlexConnect: Installling Certificates On Apple TV Without USB‘. Finally, I configured the DNS of the Apple TV 3 to the IP address of my Plex Media Server according to the GitHub DNS configuration guide and PlexConnect works as good as before the update.
Plex Media Server was updated on February 23, 2016.
Plex Version 0.9.15.6.1714-7be11e1 changelog:
- Multiple subtitles in a single file could be lost after a metadata update.
- Auto-update could require a manual install in some cases.
- (Roku) Improve stability resuming video over HLS.
- (Windows) Simplify auto-update experience.
- (Windows) Never reboot after a media server auto-update.
- (Windows) Fix license link in ‘about’ dialog.
PlexConnect v0.5 changelog (major improvements):
- Revamped Audio/Music handling (for iOS>=7.0. That version got a new XML audio player… thanks Beats!)
- GUI improvements: Fanart, Backgrounds… (needs PIL/Pillow library for Python)
- Playlists support (video/audio): continuous play, shuffle, also for TVShow/Season/Episodes
- Save ATVSettings.cfg after changes
Further more, OpenPlex beta 0.6 was released with a new theme demo video from CyberGhost84, GUI update & remove unused icons by CyberGhost84 and bug fix new PlexConnect custom icon on February 19, 2016, and is available for download as an installer app:
Openplex beta 0.6 Changelog:
- New GUI by CyberGhost84.
- Add Settings.cfg easy editing
- Multiple bug fixes
- Add python firewall codesign button
- Add trash can warning removal
- Add CLT check in OpenPlex.app
- Add CLT dialog in installer.app to display when not installed
- Fix loaders (requires script editor 2.7 when editing/saving and importing back into Xcode)
- Fixed OpenPlex.app to be SIP compliant by moving all scripts from /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin and exporting paths
- Replaced HOME with ~ in appweb.bash to simplify code & improve installer
- Added opening app automatically after updating app for 10.9.x-10.11.x
- Added note to icon tab that only CyberGhost84 & Wahlman.j theme’s currently can upload icon
- Redesigned GUI by CyberGhost84
- Removed fanartcache backup/restoration & viewing. Kept delete fanartcache since section icons can’t be removed due to mediabadges location in /assets/thumbnails/mediabadges.
- Bug fix on all theme’s for changed custom section icons locations
- Add new view for WebConnect “safari iOS view”
- Add & enable preview for Wahlman.j theme
- Add Website button to settings tab
- bug fix webconnect to prevent permission errors in sudoers from using root instead of default user
- New theme demo video from CyberGhost84
- GUI update & remove unused icons by CyberGhost84
- Bug fix new PlexConnect custom icon
If you are new to PlexConnect then follow the work around to get PlexConnect running on your Apple TV:
- For Mac OS X: PlexConnect On Windows 8 And OS X 10.8.4: Plex Media Server On Apple TV 2 And 3 Without Jailbreak
- For Windows 7, 8 and 8.1: Installing PlexConnect On Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 After Apple TV Update
- For Windows 10: How To Install PlexConnect On Windows 10
Finally, I am very delighted that the latest Plex, PlexConnect and OpenPlex are still running on Apple TV 7.2.1 software and Mac OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan.
Stay tuned! 😉