Update: Windows 10 Will Support CalDAV And CardDAV For iCloud And Google
Learn how to sync Google contacts with Windows 10 People app. This work-around is an updated version of ‘Setting Up Google Contacts In Windows 8 And RT Contact App‘. It also applies to Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (Technical preview, build 9926). In the same way, you can sync your Microsoft Exchange contacts, Skype contacts, Yahoo! contacts, Facebook friends, LinkedIn contacts, Sina Weibo contacts and Twitter contacts. However, you cannot sync iCloud contacts with Windows 10 People app.
For Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft added support of CalDAV and CardDAV protocol for Google calendars and contacts and iCloud calendars and contacts at last. However, Windows 10 (technical preview, build number 9926) is still missing CalDAV and CardDAV support like Windows 8 and 8.1. It is unknowable why Microsoft does not add these supports to Windows.
For all that, you can sync Google contacts with Windows 10 People app via your outlook.com / Microsoft account. The restriction is that you can add only one single Google account. With that you can completely bypass the restriction that Google stopped supporting Microsoft Exchange Active Sync protocol.
Here’s how to sync Google contacts with Windows 10 People app (a Microsoft account is preconditioned):
- In the People app, click on the upper left corner, select ‘Settings‘ and click on ‘Accounts‘. Then tap or click ‘Add an account‘.
- On the page ‘Add an account‘ click on ‘Google connect‘.
- Click on ‘Connect‘ to connect your Google account.
- sign in with your Google Gmail email address and password.
- Click on ‘Accept‘ for giving permission.
- Next, the ‘Done‘ screen will show up. Click on ‘Done‘.
- Now your Google contacts are synced with Windows 10 People app. Congrats! 🙂
- Check to see if there are any other Google accounts listed in the People app. If you see one, and it’s the one you want to sync your contacts from, you’re done. 🙂
- You can add only one Google account. If you want to switch to another Google account:
- Go to ‘Settings‘, ‘Accounts‘ and click on your Google Account.
- On the next screen, click on ‘Manage this account online‘.
- You will be guided to your Online Microsoft account. Select ‘Remove this connection completely‘.
- Go back to the People app and add a new Google connection following steps 1 to 7.
- Syncing Google contacts with Windows 10 works for both standard Gmail accounts and Google apps accounts.
Finally, syncing Google contacts with Windows 10’s People app works by using a Microsoft account. You can sync your Microsoft Exchange contacts, Skype contacts, Yahoo! contacts, Facebook friends, LinkedIn contacts, Sina Weibo contacts and Twitter contacts.
Stay tuned! 😉