Update August 22, 2015: How To Set Up WhatsApp Web On iPad And Mac
Update December 10, 2014: WhatsApp On iPad Without Jailbreak Not Working Anymore
Update: iOS 8: How To Install WhatsApp On iPad Without Jailbreak
Update: How to install WhatsApp on iPad without Jailbreak works also on iOS 7
WhatsApp on iPad without jailbreak is easily installed on iOS 6 or iOS 7 (iPod touch included). As you maybe know, it is not possible to install WhatsApp on a iPad or iPod touch via Apple Appstore. One option is to jailbreak your iPad and install WhatsApp via Cydia Store. But I’m not really a jailbreak fan, so I don’t go that way. However, there is a way to install WhatsApp without jailbreak on iPad or iPod touch using the free iFunBox (Windows and Mac versions available). I tried it with DiskAid, but it didn’t worked.
In the following you see a step-by-step guide to install WhatsApp on an iPad. I was succesfull on an iPad 4th generation cellular 64 GB with iOS 6.1.3 installed. However, it should work on a non-cellular iPad or iPad mini as well.
- Install iFunBox on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Install WhatsApp in the regular way via iTunes Store on your iPhone, if you haven’t already done it. Launch iFunBox.
- Connect your iPhone via cable to your Computer.
- Create a dedicated folder on your computer, e.g. named ‘WhatsApp’. 😉
- Go to ‘User Applications’, select ‘WhatsApp’, double-click and click on ‘Copy to Mac’: all WhatsApp files from your iPhone are copied to your computer in the selected folder.
- Disconnect your iPhone from your computer.
- Connect your iPad via cable to your computer.
- Push button ‘Install App’, select …/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/WhatsApp 2.8.7.ipa and click on ‘Open’.
- Go to ‘User Applications’ and double-click the Folder ‘WhatsApp’.
- Select all files in the folder and push the button ‘Copy from Mac’: all files from the folder ‘WhatsApp’ of your computer are transferred to your iPad Folder ‘WhatsApp’.
- Disconnect your iPad from your computer.
- Now you can start WhatsApp on your iPad!
That’s all! WhatsApp should now run on your iPad. But keep in mind that you can’t use Whatsapp parallel both on your iPhone and on your iPad.
If you want to use WhatsApp later again on your iPhone, you have to reactivate WhatsApp on your iPhone via SMS.
If you want then use it again on the iPad you have to go through step 3 to 7 and 9 to 12 again.
Here are some FAQs:
- Can I still sync my iPad with iTunes? You will get a message in iTunes that your computer is no longer authorized to install apps on your iPad. However, you can check the option ‘Sync only checked songs and videos’ in the ‘Summary’ section: songs and Videos will be synced. Updating apps ‘over the air’ via automatic downloads is still possible.
- If there is an update for WhatsApp, can I update it? Will it still work? You have to delete WhatsApp from your iPad, update WhatsApp on your iPhone and do the workaround describe above again.
- If there is an iPad software update, can I update it? Will WhatsApp be removed? You should remove WhatsApp from your iPad, update iOS and then do the workaround describe above again.
Stay tuned! 😉