WhatsApp on iPad without jailbreak is easily installed on iOS 7 and iOS 8 (iPod touch included) using the free iFunBox (Windows and Mac versions available). I tried also DiskAid, but it didn’t worked. However, there is a known issue with WhatsApp on iOS 8 beta: Some contacts or groups force WhatsApp on iOS 8 beta to crash. This is a general problem of WhatsApp on iOS 8 and has nothing to do with this tweak.
Update February 4, 2016: iOS: Install WhatsApp On iPad With Messenger Plus For WhatsApp
Update August 22, 2015: How To Set Up WhatsApp Web On iPad And Mac
Update: December 10, 2014: WhatsApp On iPad Without Jailbreak Not Working Anymore
Update November 17, 2014: WhatsApp version 2.11.14 is also NOT working on iPads, but WhatsApp 2.11.8!
Update September 24, 2014: WhatsApp version 2.11.12 is also NOT working on iPads, but WhatsApp 2.11.8!
Update September 19, 2014: WhatsApp version 2.11.11 is NOT working on iPads, but WhatsApp 2.11.8!
Update September 18, 2014: WhatsApp is completely working again on iOS 8 final version.
In the following you see a step-by-step guide to install WhatsApp on iPad without jailbreak. I was successful on an iPad Air cellular 128 GB with iOS 8 beta 2 installed. However, it should work on a non-cellular iPad or iPad mini as well.
- Install iFunBox on your Windows PC or Mac. Note: iFunBox is also running on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite beta.
- Install WhatsApp in the regular way via iTunes Store on your iPhone, if you haven’t already done it. [Update: Do not do this at the moment so long version 2.11.11 is active. Search for “WhatsApp 2.11.8.ipa” on your computer (maybe it is already in the trash folder) and install this version]. Launch iFunBox.
- Connect your iPhone via cable to your Computer. Take care that iTunes is closed. If iTunes starts automatically, close it.
- Create a dedicated folder on your computer, e.g. named ‘WhatsApp’. 😉
- Go to ‘User Applications’, select ‘WhatsApp’ and make a double-click.
- Select all files and folders and click on ‘Copy to Mac’: AllWhatsApp files from your iPhone are copied to your computer in the selected folder.
- Disconnect your iPhone from your computer.
- Connect your iPad via cable to your computer. Take care that iTunes is closed. If iTunes starts automatically, close it.
- Push button ‘Install App’, select …/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/WhatsApp 2.11.8.ipa and click on ‘Open’.
- After successful installation, go to ‘User Applications‘ and double-click the Folder ‘WhatsApp‘.
- Select all files in the folder and push the button ‘Copy from Mac’. Then select all files of the folder ‘WhatsApp‘ you copied before to your PC and click on ‘Open’. All files from the folder ‘WhatsApp‘ of your computer are transferred to your iPad Folder ‘WhatsApp‘.
- Disconnect your iPad from your computer.
- Now you can start WhatsApp on your iPad!
That’s all! You got it: WhatsApp on iPad without jailbreak is running on iOS 8! But keep in mind that you can’t use Whatsapp parallel both on your iPhone and on your iPad. If you want to switch between WhatsApp on iPhone to WhatsApp on iPad, close WhatsApp on the one device before you start WhatsApp on the other. To be safe, deactivate ‘Background App Refresh’ on both devices. Go to ‘Settings’, ‘WhatsApp’ and deactivate ‘Background App refresh’.
If the get the following message, you have to repeat the ‘WhatsApp on iPad without jailbreak’ tweak:
If you want to use WhatsApp later again on your iPhone, you have to reactivate WhatsApp on your iPhone via SMS.
If you want then use it again on the iPad you have to go through step 3 to 7 and 9 to 12 again.
Here are some FAQs and troubleshooting:
- Q: Can I still sync my iPad with iTunes?
- A: So far, on iOS 8 iTunes sync works. However on iOS 7, you will get a message in iTunes that your computer is no longer authorized to install apps on your iPad. However, you can check the option ‘Sync only checked songs and videos’ in the ‘Summary’ section: songs and Videos will be synced. Updating apps ‘over the air’ via automatic downloads is still possible.
- Q: If there is an updateforWhatsApp, can I update it? Will it still work?
- A: You have to delete WhatsApp from your iPad, update WhatsApp on your iPhone and do the workaround describe above again.
- Q: If there is an iPad software update, can I update it?WillWhatsApp be removed?
- A: You should remove WhatsApp from your iPad, update iOS and then do the workaround describe above again.
- Q: WhatsApp is not working in general on my iPad.WhatsApp crashes every time I want to open a new message. What can I do?
- A: There is a known issue with iOS 8 beta: Some contacts or groups force WhatsApp on iOS 8 beta to crash. This is a general problem and has nothing to do with this tweak. To date (06/27/2014), the only working solution (both for WhatsApp on iPhone and iPad) is, either to identify the contact and delete the messages of the contact or delete all conversations. But all the conversations are then lost! And in my case, the same contact let WhatsApp crashed again after I deleted the conversation!
Stay tuned! 😉