A Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV mobile broadband modem USB stick is easily installed on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan without using Mobile Partner software and despite Apple’s System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’. Just use the following work around to get your Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV running on El Capitan. This tweak also applies to Huawei E3276, Huawei E3372 and any other Huawei mobile broadband modem. If you also have a Windows 8 / 8.1 or Windows 10, you just follow the Windows 8 / 8.1 instructions. I have already posted instruction for installing K3765 on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Installation Vodafone K3765-HV on macOs 10.12 Sierra works in the similar way as for Huawei E3372.
Finally, if the Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV is unlocked and voice functions are enabled, this modem USB stick is utilizable as a GSM Gateway on FRITZ!Box models which are capable for mobile broadband modem USB sticks, e.g. on a FRITZ!Box 7390.
I conducted the installation with the following set up:
- MacBook Pro 13” Retina End 2013 with Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta 8 installed.
- Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV modem USB stick (Hardware version CD25TCPV, Chipset Qualcomm MSM6290, 7.2 Mbit/s via HSDPA, 5.75 Mbit/s via HSUPA) with micro SD slot for up to 8 GB and a hidden connector for external antenna (Specifications Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV):
- Huawei Mobile Connect Driver for Mac, update for MacBook air (MobileConnectDriver for Mac Book Air 2013, 2013-08-31, software version 4.25.45.00)
- For software updates click here and search for ‘Mac‘.
- Mobile Partner for Mac OS X is working on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan if parts of the System Integrity Protection (csrutil rootless) are disabled during installation. Nevertheless, I describe an alternative way to connect the E3372 without the Mobile Partner Software.
How to disable System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’
Go through the following steps:
- Boot up Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan in Recovery Mode: To start your computer from Recovery, restart your Mac and hold down the ‘Command‘ and ‘R‘ keys at startup.
- Open ‘Terminal’.
- Use the csrutil command as follows: ‘csrutil disable‘.
- Check the success of disabling ‘csrutil’: Type ‘csrutil status’ in Terminal
Note: After installing you can re-activate “csrutil” again: ‘csrutil enable’ in terminal (recovery mode)
The work around to install Huawei K3765-HV on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan without Mobile Partner Software is as follows:
- After disabling ‘csrutil’, insert the SIM-card into your K3765-HV, connect it to your Mac and skip installation of Vodafone Mobile Broadband Software.
- Download and install Huawei Mobile Connect Driver for Mac 4.25.45.00: 804.9 KiB
Huawei Mobile Connect Driver for Mac (software version 4.25.45.00, update for MacBook air)
Languages: English Author: Huawei Platforms: Mac OS X Category: Huawei Date: February 9, 2014
- Open ‘System Preferences‘ and select ‘Network‘. Click on ‘+‘ and create a new service. Select ‘HUAWEIMobile-‘ (NOT ‘HUAWEIMobile’!) and click on ‘Create‘.
- For configuration, select configuration ‘Default‘, type ‘*99#‘ in the field ‘Telephone number‘ and leave empty ‘Account name‘ and ‘Password‘. Click on ‘Connect‘ to establish the connection.
- If the connection is correctly built, you will find the status ‘connected‘. The close the connection, just click on ‘disconnect‘or unplug your K3765.
Note: Every time you plug the Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV to your Mac again, installation of Vodafone Mobile Broadband software is prompted. Just ignored it and skip it.
Installing a Huawei / Vodafone K3765-HV mobile broadband modem USB stick on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan or macOs 10.12 Sierra is easily done by using the Huawei Mobile Connect Driver and the Mac’s built-in network preferences.
Stay tuned! 😉