Update: Installing Huawei E3372 On macOS 10.12 Sierra
A Huawei E3372 / Telekom Speedstick LTE V mobile broadband modem USB stick is easily installed on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan without using Mobile Partner software and despite Apple’s System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’. Just use the following work around to get your Huawei E3372s-153 / T-Com Speedstick LTE V running on El Capitan. This tweak also applies to Huawei E3276, Huawei K3765-HV (Vodafone K3765-HV) and any other Huawei mobile broadband modem. If you also have a Windows 8 / 8.1 or Windows 10, you just follow the Windows 8 / 8.1 instructions for Huawei K3765.
I conducted the installation with the following set up:
- MacBook Pro 13” Retina End 2013 with Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta 8 installed.
- Huawei E3372s-153 / Telekom Speedstick LTE V (LTE FDD : Cat4 DL:150Mbps/UL:50Mbps @20M BW, UMTS: DCHSPA+:42/5.76Mbps;21M/5.76Mbps;14M/5.76M, HSUPA:7.2M/5.76M, 2G: EDGE packet data service of up to 236.8kbps) with micro SD slot and two hidden connectors for external antenna (Specifications Huawei E3372):
- Huawei Mobile Connect Driver for Mac, update for MacBook air (MobileConnectDriver for Mac Book Air 2013, 2013-08-31, 2015-02-28, software version 4.25.45.00)
- For software updates click here and search for ‘Mac‘.
- Mobile Partner for Mac OS X is working on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan if parts of the System Integrity Protection (csrutil rootless) are disabled during installation. Nevertheless, I describe an alternative way to connect the E3372 without the Mobile Partner Software.
Disabling System Integrity Protection “csrutil” and “rootless”
Note: Due to improved OS security, you must disable the System Integrity Protection, also called “rootless”. Here’s the fix (but be aware that you’re loosing security! Re-activate it after Installation!):
How to disable System Integrity Protection ‘csrutil’
Go through the following steps:
- Boot up Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan in Recovery Mode: To start your computer from Recovery, restart your Mac and hold down the ‘Command‘ and ‘R‘ keys at startup.
- Open ‘Terminal’.
- Use the csrutil command as follows: ‘csrutil disable‘.
- Check the success of disabling ‘csrutil’: Type ‘csrutil status’ in Terminal
Note: After installing you can re-activate “csrutil” again: ‘csrutil enable’ in terminal (recovery mode)
The work around to install Huawei E3372 on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan without Mobile Partner Software is as follows:
- After disabling ‘csrutil‘, insert the SIM-card into your Huawei E3372, connect it to your Mac and skip installation of Internet Manager Software (for Telekom Speedstick LTE V only).
- Download and install Huawei Mobile Connect Driver for Mac 4.25.45.00: 804.9 KiB
Huawei Mobile Connect Driver for Mac (software version 4.25.45.00, update for MacBook air)
Languages: English Author: Huawei Platforms: Mac OS X Category: Huawei Date: February 9, 2014
- Open ‘System Preferences‘ and select ‘Network‘. Click on ‘+‘ and create a new service. Select ‘HUAWEIMobile-‘ (NOT ‘HUAWEIMobile-Modem’!) and click on ‘Create‘.
- For configuration, select configuration ‘Default‘, type ‘*99#‘ in the field ‘Telephone number‘ and leave empty ‘Account name‘ and ‘Password‘. Click on ‘Connect‘ to establish the connection.
- If the connection is correctly built, you will find the status ‘connected‘. The close the connection, just click on ‘disconnect‘or unplug your Huawei E3372.
Note: Every time you plug the Huawei E3372s-153 / Telekom Speedstick LTE V to your Mac again, installation of T-Mobile Internet Manager software is prompted. Just ignored it and skip it.
Installing a Huawei E3372 / T-Com Speedstick LTE V mobile broadband modem USB stick on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan is easily done by using the Huawei Mobile Connect Driver and the Mac’s built-in network preferences after disabling System Integrity protection ‘csrutil’. Mobile Partner software is not needed!
Stay tuned! 😉